Whenever I am away from this blog for a while, I always dip my toe back in the water with a recipe. I should warn you, I recently signed up for a meal planning service from Real Simple. So for the foreseeable future, I am pretty sure every recipe I share will be a derivation of one of their super easy offerings. This is not me apologizing, their stuff is great! The original version of this dish can be found here. According to My Fitness Pal, the below will cost you around 361 calories per serving (four servings total). And it shouldn’t take you more than 30 minutes to complete. Yeah!
two yams (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into thin wedges
one red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
two cloves garlic, minced
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
one bunch spinach, thick stems removed (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Before you do anything else, get the oven going – you want it heated to 425° F.
- On an oven friendly flat pan (a baking sheet is better but all I have is a glass baking dish and it worked OK) toss the yams, onions, 2tbs olive oil, ½tsp salt, and ¼tsp pepper. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. I found it cooked more evenly when I gave it an extra toss about halfway through. But if you forget – no worries.
- While the yams are going, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with ½tsp cumin, ½tsp salt and ¼tsp pepper. Cook the chicken until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- About halfway through cooking the chicken, I added the tomatoes and garlic to the pan (off to the side) and cooked them until the tomatoes were soft and the garlic was translucent.
- In a large bowl, toss the warm potato mixture with the spinach, tomatoes and garlic, lime juice and ¼tsp salt. Serve with the chicken.
My husband said it wasn’t his favorite. My mom ate it like it was her job. To each his or her own. Let me know how it goes over in your family. Or if you make any changes!